Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Beginning... August

Well, to be more specific, just the beginning of this school year.  I'm a sophomore and this year I'm an RA.  That stands for resident assistant, but basically, I get to live in the dorms and eat for free, as long as I "build community" in the halls and serve a sort of mentor role. 
The previous year, I commuted and so living on campus was going to be a fun change for me.  I come from a family of 7 so moving from that to a single dorm room by myself was also gonna be different. More freedom!! :)  
RA training began 2 weeks before school started so we got to move in early and let me tell you, I HATED it.  I didnt really know anybody well, which was sad, considering the fact that my school has about 4000 people!  And don't get me wrong, I'm a very social person! 
In highshool I was in the popular crowd, I had homecoming princess and queen, and not to come off as concieted or anything, but it felt weird being alone, so I felt out of my element.  I was just counting down the days until more of my friends from the previous semester were moving back in... 
Anyway, as the days went on, I began to get to know my fellow RA's more and they got to know me and now I feel like I can be my outgoing, fun loving self. 
...I've been told that the first impression I give off is a "goodie two shoes" which is wierd since I'm not! And when I feel out of my element I get kind of quiet, so people also start thinking that I'm shy, which I'm NOT.  People also tell me that I'm too happy and nice, and when they get to know me, they're surprised by my personality... Idk what to think of this, I'm just optimistic and trying to live my life to the fullest.
Anyway, at the beginning of the year, there are a lot of events to welcome the students back.  There was a nightclub themed dance and me and my friends went and next thing you know, we're up on the stage dancing the night away under the hot lights. That was a fun night and I felt like a star. That's one of the first times in the schoolthat I felt like myself, and could let loose and have fun. :)
The year was barely beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment